Home Forums Ongoing Development Toy Activity

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    dsmith
    Participant

I find that one of the things that always goes well is the toy activity, even going a little too well sometimes with the students figuring out what we’re trying to get at and making sure that both the boy and the girl have a variety of toys that range from masculine to feminine. Regardless, the students always seem to have fun, and are usually always stunned when learning about the word clouds that are connected to the toy activity, being able to easily identify these things in their own lives.

I also found that at the last workshop I attended, students seemed to go out of their way to try and “pre-empt” some of the stereotypical answers. This particular group happened to have girls in it, and one of them was pretty eager to claim some of the toys listed on the boy side as things she loved to play with as a child as well. The facilitator did a nice job of filling in the gaps with some of his own answers to make the lists a bit more typical. Still, it was good to acknowledge that the group was already aware of the stereotypes we’d be discussing.

Regardless, once we got to the word cloud the students identified with it immediately, and seeing it portrayed that way really drove home the message.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.